WORKSHOP: Building Speed & Flexibility...


Courtesy of Ron Jackson...

GUITAR WORKSHOP: Etudes to help develop your speed, finger independence, and flexibility...

When I started playing acoustic guitar at age 11, my fret-hand fingers jumped off the fingerboard like grasshoppers, as speed and clarity evaded me. Then, when I was in high school, I saw the acoustic-guitar trio of Paco de LucĂ­a, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin, and my mind was blown by how fast and flawlessly they played. I knew I needed to work on my fret hand, so I developed some exercises that took my playing to the next level.



In this lesson, I’ll share the fret-hand exercises that have helped both me and my students. Whatever your style, if you work on these etudes diligently, you’ll develop speed, finger independence, and flexibility. By the fourth section of this Weekly Workout, your fret-hand fingers should feel less like grasshoppers and more like tiny dancers on the fretboard.

Video #1). Synchronization Drills






Video #2). Covering Strings and Switching Shapes








Video #3). Finger Independence and Covering Unique Shapes




Years after I first started doing these exercises, I still use them as a quick warm-up before practicing, gigging, or recording. Doing the same will help keep your fretting fingers in tip-top shape.

___________________________________________________

GET GOOD NOW - JOIN THE MEMBERS AREA


Join Now