VIDEO: Tom Petty on Hip-Hop, EDM and Plastic Computer Music...



Tom Petty has hit out at EDM, (Electronic dance music), claiming that the entire genre is a joke and is essentially nothing without drugs... "Paying money to watch people playing records while doing designer drugs is just plain stupid."




"Watch people play records?" he says in an interview with USA Today. "That's stupid. You couldn't pay me to go. I'm not oversimplifying it. That's what's going on. I don't think it would be any fun without the drugs. It's a drug party."

The singer also spoke of his dislike of MP3s and his approval of the resurgence of vinyl:

"I hate MP3s," he says. "You hear exactly 5% of the record I made. And I don't think most people know the difference. They're being shortchanged. The CD is not as good as it can be, but it's 100 times better than an MP3. The good thing is vinyl is coming back."


Asked about Neil Young's proposed high res music service, Pono, Petty had the following to say:

"Neil took me for a ride in his car and played it for me," Petty says. "It's stunning. It's up to the quality of what we hear in the studio. Once that's available, the battle's over. It's like 240 times the resolution."